Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A New Hobby

Finally school has ended for this semester . . . for Jane anyways. I am still going to spring semester, just taking a few classes to try and speed up my graduation. Speaking of graduation, last week we had some of our family members graduate and had lots of family to visit. It was fun to have nephews and nieces in town to play with (mostly nephews!). But now that Jane is freed up from the stress of school she has decided to take on a new hobby based off of one of her favorite new tv shows, cake decorating! While she will work up to the glamorous cakes seen on "Ace of Cakes" and "Last Cake Standing" she decided to pick up a little cake decorating kit from the store and try it out. Her first creation was a race car cake . . . not that I had anything to do with that. Take a look at the work in progress:

She made the frosting from scratch and used the kit's many different color combinations to get that race car red she wanted. It turned out to be much more difficult than expected to get the exact shape, but maybe some sharper knives would make it easier? She learned a few tricks from reading books and watching her shows on how to get the frosting to glide on nice and smooth. When it came to the fine details, like the wheels and tires and headlights and other trim, I was given the task of painting those on. However, once I was given the frosting painting tool thing (You can tell I don't know the technical term) it was hard to give it back to Jane. But after we were all finished we were quite pleased with our work!

It might not be as professional, but hey, at least it resembles a car!

4 comments:

  1. Nice team work there guys! It totally looks like a car! I took some cake decorating classes when I was pregnant with Vilate. It was a BLAST!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...it kind of looks like the car I drove in college - the little red honda civic hatchback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! It does definitely have a Honda feel to it. Probably thanks to all those CRV's, Civics, and CRX's we've all driven. And I totally know those cake decorating shows! I started watching them at the gym one day and got hooked. It's so cool the stuff they can make.

    And if Jane can make a freaking cute Roxy swimsuit - I'm sure she'll master cake decorating soon enough. Her Martha Stewart skills are so going to put me to shame over the years. I really am kind of a sucky homemaker. I don't sew. I don't really like to cook... I DO like to clean though. yay!

    It was great to see you guys. I loved watching The Office and The Burbs with the gang. And Brent couldn't believe how long Jane played his DS Lite for. He now realizes that she is a serious gamer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute race car cake!! You will have lots of time to master the cake decorating! Thanks for going to Denver!

    Barbara Cox

    ReplyDelete