Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mrs. Cox and other things

Well as you can see there has been a lack of posting. In a nutshell there was Christmas, more BYU football (domination of Oregon State) and the start of a new semester. This semester Jane is out of class, well sort of. She is student teaching now, so you can refer to her as Mrs. Cox, and it has been a bit of an adventure. She is teaching junior high in Lindon, and her teacher she is partnered up with is, well I guess you could say not Jane's type. She is an older lady that isn't quite as organized and on the ball as Jane is so you can imagine that is bit frustrating for her. One day the teacher just decided she wasn't feeling to good and had Jane take over...with no lesson plans or instructions. So she had to wing it for the day. She is surviving but it has been a bit of a roller coaster. Hopefully things are starting to adjust and Jane is learning a lot about the kind of teacher that she wants to be.
I am in another semester of school, this one is shaping up to be a bit busier than the last one. Last semester was a lot more theory and learning how to do things and this semester is a lot more actual application of those things. I am sad to see my reporting job at the newspaper for the football team come to an end but it was a great experience and a lot of fun for me. Jane made me a sort of scrapbook with all of my stories in it, although my very last story was published the first week of this semester so we will have to add it in.
Jane and I and the folks went to the car show and we saw lots of cool stuff. It's one of my favorite events of the year so of course I was excited. My favorites were the Subaru STI, the Hyundai Genesis and Genesis coupe and the big shocker, the Hyundai Equus. Basically its a Bentley for half the price. Jane wishes we could have the cash for a Audi A5 convertible, or a Lexus IS350 convertible (all we need is about 50,000) for either one. She also liked the Jeep Wranglers, of course it has to be the hardtop and the four door for practicality. And Jane realized that minivans provide the most room and comfort, and the most practicality, if your willing to sacrifice a bit of cool factor.
All in all, we are busier than ever and look forward to some vacation time. Camping, cruises, beach, anything will do.

9 comments:

  1. Whatever. Vans are the coolest. You're not cool unless you have a van. Hey look at me everyone! I have a van!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to comment about the student teaching. When I did my student teaching it was at a really low income school in Midvale. I got sworn at by a 5th grade girl in front of the class, and my partner teacher would leave me alone all the time and never give feedback. It was stressful, probably more than a real teaching job. So good luck!! And we have a mini van. I know it is not as cool as an SUV etc but seriously cheaper, and if you need a "cool" vehicle to make yourself feel cool, then you really can't be that cool in the first place right? I hope u guys come up to Canada to visit this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! i was going to leave a comment that said pretty much the EXACT same thing Brent did. that is why we're married.

    ditto to what Jill said. I am so cool that I am above needing an SUV to feel cool. and seriously they are the roomiest, most comfortable, practical, and efficient cars in the world.

    as for the teaching - sounds like a pain. hope things get a little better for Jane. I'm sure she'll do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If vans are cool, then I must be Miles Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha everyone's comments are so funny! We were beginning to wonder if you two were still alive down there. Glad to hear things are going good though. Nick loves car shows too, and we're actually gonna go to one next weekend. I guess I do have to agree though on the van comments. I always wanted an SUV, but as we've been looking for a new vehicle to buy, you definitely get A LOT more "bang for your buck" with a van. Sweet. Looks like I'll be joining the throngs of minivan moms. We miss you guys - hope to see you this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. minnie van...shminnie van! I love my Armada which I got for way cheap and c'mom...it is definitely more 'cool' :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see your news in print. New things are always stressful. Jane-you're going to be a great teacher! Just be patient with yourself. Once you have done it for a while it will become second nature. And of course all the young boys will have a crush on "Mrs. Cox" so watch out! Glad to hear all the talk about cars. You two have two great cute red cars. My kids have all married "up." We are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom - married "up"?? I take offense at that. hahhaa. and i knew Jo wouldn't pass up the chance to argue her superior coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jane. i found your blog. you are amazing and you are beautiful. we need to hang out more.

    ReplyDelete